Orthodontic Treatment in Mumbai
It is good to have a skeptic mind. It is even better so when the decision is to be made regarding one’s health or regarding spending one’s hard earned money wisely. Choosing the ideal orthodontic treatment requires taking decisions involving both of the above. Thus one must be aware of the major issues before choosing the ideal orthodontic treatment for oneself. This blog covers some of the frequently asked queries and concerns of people planning to undergo an orthodontic treatment.
What is orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatment is a way of improving the physical appearance of the teeth by straightening them or aligning them perfectly into the denture. It also helps in improving the long term health of the teeth, gums and jaw joints.
Who should take an orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatment is recommended to those who have any of the following problems in the denture:
- Overbite: Overlapping of the lower teeth by the upper.
- Underbite: The lower jaw protruding or extending forward, and in front of the upper jaw, giving the chin and lower teeth prominence.
- Crossbite: One or more of the upper teeth biting on the inside of the lower teeth.
- Open Bite: The front teeth, both upper and lower are forced outwards to an extent that the teeth of the upper and the lower jaw do not touch each other.
Is there any age bar for taking an orthodontic treatment?
Absolutely no! You can go for an orthodontic treatment whenever you feel the need to have one. But in children it might be necessary to wait for enough permanent teeth to come before starting the treatment.
Who carries out orthodontics?
A dentist with special expertise in orthodontics should carry out the treatment. It is essential for you to do a background check and choose only the best dentist in your city for this treatment.
What does a pre examination involve?
Your dentist will take a full examination of your denture through X Rays and other methods. They may even create plaster models of your teeth to better understand the ideal treatment for your teeth.
What are the different options available?
Some of the coolest options from which you can choose are:
- Invisalign: This technique helps to realign your teeth with virtually invisible see through aligners which are custom made for you. These fit snugly over your teeth, can be removed and wore again whenever you want. The aligners use the right kind of force at the right place gradually pushing your teeth to the right position over a couple of weeks.
- Invisible braces: These are removable braces made up of virtually invisible plastic. These can be removed while eating, drinking or brushing the teeth. For the best results, they should be worn for 22-23 hours a day. But you need to have all your permanent teeth before taking this treatment.
- Fixed brace: Sometimes, the problem cannot be handled as accurately by removable braces as it can be with fixed braces. These braces are made up of wires and brackets. After the teeth have been properly aligned, they are taken off by the dentist.
Depending on the degree of misalignment of the teeth, the dentist will recommend the best treatment for your teeth.
Are there any side effects?
There are no side effects associated with orthodontics as such. Only you might feel discomfort in the initial days with the new aligners but even this usually fades away soon.
How to care for the braces and teeth?
Brushing twice a day and using mouthwash is recommended for maintaining overall hygiene. You might even have to cut down on sugary foods, fizzy drinks or hard and sticky food that might damage the braces. Your dentist will guide you in detail about the same.
All these Orthodontics treatments are carried out in Mumbai at Sparsh Smiles’s state of the art clinic.